12 September 2004

My Baby's Daddy

Three best friends, Lonnie, G, and Dominic coincidentally impregnate their respective girlfriends, forcing them to quickly grow up and become baby daddies and perhaps even learn to be fathers .

Give me a moment while I wait for my brain to stop barfing.

This movie was terrible. I can't complain though. The movie's exactly what I expected a movie called My Baby's Daddy to be like. Ignoring the movie's ridiculous premise, this movie is still wrong, so wrong.

Firstly, I can't believe anyone in their right mind would acknowledge that any of the three losers was the father of their child. In one scene, the daddies leave their three toddlers unattended in an upstairs bedroom while a party full of alcohol and hoochie mamas rages on downstairs. One of the daddies unwittingly leaves the bedroom door open, allowing the three babies to crawl all the way downstairs to the front lawn, completely unnoticed. Of course, this incident compels the three players to take fatherhood more seriously, i.e., clean up the house.

The film is also rife with racial stereotypes: stingy, uptight Asian owners of a convenience store; loud obnoxious black women; earthy Indian woman; white guys who want to be black. There is even a long running (might I add, too long) play on the Chinese language with characters named Bling Bling, Da Ling, and XiXi (pronounced She She). I have no problems with jokes addressing stereotypes, but jokes are suppose to be funny. This movie was not funny. The film in general seemed like a random string of jokes that were probably a little funny at one point in time (maybe at 4:00 a.m. when the writers were high off of some illegal substance), but completely fall flat on screen.

The film's leads, Eddie Griffin, Anthony Anderson, and Michael Imperioli could produce great performances if given the right material, so I have to wonder what crap head convinced them that My Baby's Daddy was a good idea.

Admittedly, in this cavern of crap exists a few nuggets of funny. Despite the cliche, twin comics, Jason and Ryan Sklar are hilarious as the "Brothers Stylz", an aspiring (white) rap duo. If the movie had centered around the rappers and their encounter with the milk and cookie loving gangsta/music executive, Drive-By, the film would have been five times funnier (granted, that's not saying much). For instance, when introducing the rap group an MC quips, "It's time to put some crackers in this soup. Straight from the streets, I mean, cul de sac, the Brothers Stylz." Also, Method Man makes a very funny cameo as No Good, G's cousin. Meth is just really good at infusing a hard hood persona with a whole lot of charm and goofiness. I also can't forget little Bobbie J. Thompson (The Tracy Morgan Show) as Tupac, the precocious other son of Lonnie's baby's mama.

I could tell how awful the film would be within the first ten minutes of the film. It took everything I had to finish the film. The only reward for watching the entire film is the rap performance by Bobbie J. Thompson at the end of the film. Then again, you can just wait until someone throws the DVD of My Baby's Daddy outside their window, so that you can skip ahead and just see the track with Bobbie J.

My recommendation: Don't wast your time. You know the saying "curiousty killed the cat"? That cat probably killed himself after seeing My Baby's Daddy.

No comments: