19 October 2007

Hongdae: Where You Get Your Eyelashes Did

Another day spent in Hongdae...I know what you're thinking. Hongdae? Again? Yes, it's true. I enjoy that little neighborhood, but there's a reason for our frequent excursions to Hongdae -- eyelash extensions!

Eyelash extensions are different from those fake, spidery eyelashes that you find at the drugstore. Individual lash pieces are glued to your lash line to create longer, fuller lashes. The end results are basically what'd you get with your favorite mascara (but better), without any smudging or raccoon eyes.

Like the need for a straight perm, eyelash extensions may sound rather silly, but in my personal experience, they're well worth it. Eyelash extensions make me look like I put some effort into my makeup, when in reality, I only spent a minute on my face. Eyelash extensions are ideal for folks who want longer, fuller lashes, but do not wear a lot of additional eye makeup, particularly eyeliner. The constant application of other eye makeup may cause the lash extensions to fall out sooner.

Thanks to EK & HY, we met an 언니 who just got into the lash extension business. Since she's just starting out, she offered us a very generous discounted rate for the time being. The regular price is 50,000 won, which is still significantly cheaper than salons in the U.S. I've heard that the lashes last around six weeks.

If you're interested and in the Seoul area, then you should definitely check out Seum Therapy in Hongdae (Call 02-322-7472). Just ask for Summer 언니. Summer also does nail art. She speaks a bit of English, though prefers to speak in Korean.

Here's a pic of Cyndi with the lash extensions. The difference is not evident in this photo, but it looks great in person.














After we got our lashes on, we headed a few doors down to Yogi for a little snack. There always appears to be a line, so it must be quite popular. It kind of reminded me of Santa Ramen.














거짓말! Why did you keep pushing us outside, mister!














Before I move on to the food. Check out this guy's haircut.














The place is very cozy. It could probably seat thirty people at most. The food was decent and cheap, and I enjoyed all of the sketches posted throughout the restaurant.




























The menu is simple and casual, just how I like it.














Here's Cyndi & HY looking gangsta. Do you think they're getting tired of all my photos? Maybe some folks can drop some compliments in the comments section, so that they don't punch me the next time I snap a photo? Gracias.














This is where all the frying happens; adeptly executed by the ajumma to the left.














Open kitchen. That's what I like to see. It makes me believe that they have nothing to hide.














Yogi is most famous for their thin, handmade noodles. I forgot what this dish is called. It may look harmless, but it definitely packs some heat.














We also tried the 납작만두 (flat mandoo). These pan fried mandoo are stuffed with noodles and nothing else. A little plain, but still interesting. Almost like eating a very oily tortilla. But not really.














My favorite was the jumbo rice cakes, boiled in broth. Overall, the food was all a bit bland, but much tastier once you dipped it in the house sauce, a blend of shoyu and chili paste.














If they use a machine to cut out the noodles, are they still considered handmade? In any case, the noodles are made fresh. That's cool.














After the noodles, I dragged Cyndi and HY to Vinyl Robot, also a block or two from Seum Therapy. We passed by this place previously, and I thought it was a juice bar, until I saw it featured on a TV program. Turns out that it's a bar that serves cocktails in vinyl bags.


















Not only that, you see that little window? You can take your cocktail to go! You definitely don't see this in the States.















This bar totally fit my aesthetic. It was bright, colorful, and full of magazines and an eclectic assortment of posters and knickknacks. As most interesting places are in Hongdae (and Seoul at large), the bar was quite small. But that's not a problem since you can take your cocktail to go!


















The bar's proprietor also serves as the resident DJ, mixing some jazzy, hipster tunes.














Cocktails are around 4000 won per bag. They feature an interesting assortment of mixed drinks, but they are mostly fruity and girly. You can also order appetizers or beer.














Do you think that alcohol in a bag would be popular back home? Someone should tell Randy to consider the possibility.














I wonder if bags are better or worse for the enviroment?














Holla.














Cyndi's drink, Peach something or other was really good. I ordered a drink called "Jungle Juice", but there wasn't enough juice. HY ordered something with cranberry juice.

It's almost like drinking a super-sized Capri Sun. All I need are some graham crackers, and I'm set for snack time.














Open container laws prohibit drinking on public streets in America, so I was surprised to learn that it's kosher in Korea.














Public drunkenness is also not allowed in America.














(When I asked HY & Cyndi to look drunk, that's what I got. This totally would not have been acceptable on America's Next Top Model.)

No comments: