08 April 2011

대장장이화덕피자 Blacksmith's Brazier Pizza

Cousin N. took Cyndi and I to a great little pizza place in 가희동.

대장장이화덕피자
서울특별시 종로구 가회동 62-1
02-765-4298 ‎

It seems like it's difficult to walk in and get a table during peak hours, so you'll want to make a reservation. It's closed on the last Tuesday of the month.

We had the Rucola Pizza and the calzone. Both were delicious. A pizza is around 14,000-16,000 won, which, in my opinion, is perfectly reasonable for freshly made pizza baked in a wood (or maybe charcoal) burning oven!


The modernized rustic vibe of the interior (does that make sense?) reflects the design aesthetic of the proprietor, an artist who makes new (beautiful) things out of recycled metal pieces. The name of the restaurant 대장장이화덕피자 translates to "Blacksmith's Brazier Pizza" (Naver dictionary helped me with this translation. It may not be accurate). The fact that the restaurant has a Korean name conveys the artist's East meets West aesthetic. Without the picture of pizzas on the window, I would have guessed that the restaurant served hanshik.

To get there by from Anguk Exit #2:
Walk straight up the road towards 가희동. You'll be walking for about 10-12 minutes. You'll know you're heading in the right direction when you see cute little boutiques filled with Korean ceramics or Korean linen wear.

대장장이화덕피자 will be on the left side of the street. Keep an eye out for the 약국 (pharmacy) just before the big church. (There's also a little coffee shop, but I can't remember the name. Something like DooRoo?) You'll want to turn into this alleyway. The restaurant is a little hanok with mint green trim. *Not to be confused with the baby blue pizza place across the street.

The following pics were taken with my new Canon SX210 camera. I miss my lil' Panasonic, but I've definitely upgraded with 14.1 mega pixels.






1 comment:

Anonymous said...

wooooooooo :) I wanted to go this restaurant. It looks yummy. from Tina