08 July 2008

Non-Beef Related Protest in Myeondong

Two weekends ago, on our way home from Myeongdong, our bus was temporarily waylaid by a crowd of protesters. I assumed that the crowd was an extension of the protests in Kwanghwamun, but it appears that these folks had a different agenda.

I'm not clear on their purpose, but a man held a flag that read "남북공동선언 실천연대." At least, that's what I think it said. Neither Cyndi nor I know what the phrase means. Cyndi says it has something to do with North & South.

I entered the phrase into Babel Fish (I know, I know. Don't ever trust Babel Fish translations). According to Babel Fish, the text means, "June 15 Joint Declaration practical regiment." I'm going to go out on a limb and say that the translation is quite off.

I will have to ask Heng about the meaning of the phrase, but in the mean time, you can check out a brief clip of the protests for yourself.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

June 15th is when the North and South meet at the Korea Summit Accords to discuss details about sending a South delegation to the Pyongyang festival. I'm not 100% sure because I can't read Korean but I think that's what the protest is about.

Anonymous said...

Hey, where's the tear gas??