15 December 2007

나는전설이다









(photo source)

I, I mean, my friend, Banannalog, actually paid to see a movie in a theater, instead of purchasing a hot copy from the streets of Seoul, as I, I mean, she, normally does.

I have to say, I Am Legend was totally worth the price of a movie ticket.

I Am Legend starts off in the year 2012. Robert Neville (Will Smith), a hot scientist/former military officer appears to be the only surviving human-human left in New York City, and perhaps the world. Three years earlier, thanks to the shenanigans of Dr. Emma Thompson, mankind has managed to ruin itself with a virus that turns humans into rabid, light-averse cannibals. (I know what you're thinking. You already saw this movie -- when it was called 28 Days Later. I promise, this movie is actually quite different). With no one but his faithful German Shepard as a companion, Robert Neville forges a life for himself in the remains of New York City, all the while, maintaining the hope of finding a cure for the god awful virus, and saving what's left of humanity. I know; that's a pretty lofty goal. But, let me tell you, if there's anyone that can accomplish such, it's the Fresh Prince.

I thoroughly enjoyed the film. It was action packed, heart-wrenching, suspenseful, and often times, scary. Will Smith further demonstrates his range as an actor, infusing Neville with intelligence, strength, humor, and a dash of cuckoo bird. Somebody needs to get the man an Oscar nomination right quick. The dog deserves a supporting actor nod as well.

I also liked the fact that there's a lot of nuance to the film. Not everything is dumbed down and explained to you through lengthy exposition or dialogue. Much of the story comes from piecing together action, subtle character expressions, or flashbacks.

I definitely recommend I Am Legend.

No comments: