08 September 2008

Leading Lainbow

We took my mom (and Piggy) to Kyobo.




























Whenever I'm in Kyobo, I always look at the Korean books wishing I was more literate in Korean. I can read the hangul, but my little brain has to work way too hard in order for me to comprehend a complete paragraph. I hope at some point I'll be able to read a whole Korean book -- or maybe just an entire magazine article.

Korean books are just so much prettier than American books. Given the high quality of the paper - smooth, thick, and expensive smelling-- Korean books seem relatively inexpensive. Korean books are printed on hardcover-quality paper, but are about the price of an American Trade Back book.

If books weren't so heavy and if my reading skills were better, I'd be tempted to pick up a few of these books:

Title (Rough English Translation): The Travel Book that IDEO Made
(I'm not sure what or who Ideo is, but I wonder if it has anything to do with "interior design" or "ideas.")
This one contains inspirational photos and description of interesting products, concepts, or designs found at popular travel locales. This particular book features photos from London.














Title (Rough English Translation): Let's Go Eat in Japan
This one features photos and blurbs on things to eat in Japan. Enough said.














Title: 1 cm
This is a quirky little book featuring illustrations and (often wry) comments/observations about life. I don't quite understand all the text, but it seems like the book is an amusing read.















I'm a big fan of children's and YA literature, so I'm very curious to see what they have out there for Korean teens. I don't know how Korean teens have time to read for fun in between school work and hagwon homework, but I'm happy to see that such a genre exists .














Looking at the covers for Twilight (the novel is split into two books) and its marketing as a manga-type story, I'm a bit wary of what I'd find with Korean YA literature.

No comments: